Welcome to our website !

Plantain Chips with Mango-Avocado Salsa

By 12:23 PM

My latest food love has been crunchy plantain chips with sea salt sprinkled on top. I feel like plantains are one of those sentimental foods for me (except I'm not a super sentimental person) but I grew up in Central America where we had them in abundance. We would have them pretty much every Sunday and then some. My mom usually used the ripe plantain and to this day I just can hardly eat them ripe because I guess I ate too many of as a kid. Let's just talk about green plantain. I have no idea how many times I have made them in the last two months but honestly it's been a lot! I just love them so much. Pair them with a delicious fresh salsa and you've got the perfect starter to a meal or the perfect snack after baby goes to bed. Yes we did do that one night last week because really sometimes you just need down time after their bedtime especially since bedtime has been a huge, long ordeal around here lately. Plus eating without a mess all over the house just feels nice sometimes. 
One more thing for my whole 30 friends. This is whole 30 approved!



 The key to good crunchy chips is thinly sliced plantain. I use a mandoline slicer with the thinnest attachment it has.









PLANTAIN CHIPS WITH MANGO-AVOCADO SALSA

3 green plantains
1 1/2 cup coconut oil or olive oil
salt to taste

Peel plantains by scoring the skin lengthwise in three different places. Cut plantain in half then slice lengthwise as thin as possible with a mandoine slicer. Heat oil in a skillet on high heat. Test the oil with an end of a slice of plantain. If it bubbles around the plantain it is ready to use. Fry on each side for thirty seconds to one minute until nice and golden brown. You may need to turn the heat down a bit if the oil seems too hot. Don't walk far away from the skillet because it does not take them long before they are too dark. Place the fried plantain chips on a paper towel lined pan or plate. Sprinkle with salt immediately.

MANGO-AVOCADO SALSA

2 cups tomato, thinly cubed
1 mango, thinly cubed
1/4 cup red onion, thinly cubed
1 avocado, thinly cubed
1 1/2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 teaspoon cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix everything in a bowl and serve with plantain chips.
Yeilds: 4 servings








You Might Also Like

2 comments


  1. I always used to read piece of writing in news papers but now as I am a user of net thus from now I am using net for articles or reviews, thanks to web. paypal account login

    ReplyDelete